Sunday, November 8, 2015

Teaching Through the Genre

It has been awhile since my last post but I'm BACK!! I have been trying to find the balance between teaching and the blogging world. When I am not teaching, I am spending my free time creating amazing products that engage my students in the love for learning.

My time has been completely dedicated to creating products for teaching through the genre. My school district has transformed the way we deliver our reading and writing instruction. The professional development book I have been using is Genre Study: Teaching with Fiction and Nonfiction Books by Fountas and Pinnell.



The purpose for teaching through the genre is creating proficient readers who learn how to develop genre understandings and apply their thinking to any genre. Students will be able to learn to think more critically about the decisions authors make as they plan and write text.

The inquiry approach will empower the students to construct new understandings and help teachers teach both reading and writing in a way that make sense for our students and enable them to learn even more about reading and writing.

According to Fountas & Pinnell, genre study brings reading and writing together so that students can "read like writers" and in the process learn to think and talk analytically about text. Genre study through inquiry helps readers incorporate the academic language they need to talk about books with one another.

The first genre I introduced to my students was traditional literature. Traditional Literature consist of fairytales, folktales, fables, legends/epics/ballads, and myths. I have created a group of classic traditional literature products that my students have fallen in love with and in the hopes that your students will to. Each of the traditional literature products I have created are driven by the high standards of the common core and the TEKS (Texas Essential of Knowledge and Skills).
                                                        
Targeted Reading Skills:
Make predictions
Ask questions
Establish a purpose for reading
Self-monitor
Infer
Determine importance
Retelling
Summarize
Synthesize
Visualize
Sensory language: imagery, mood, word choice









No comments:

Post a Comment